A variety of common household items can actually be toxic to our pets if ingested. If your animal has ingested something that you aren’t sure is a toxin, calling animal poison control may be a good next step. Animal Poison Control staffs veterinary toxicologists 24 hours a day and maintains a database of animal toxins/the latest recommended treatments. There is a charge to call the line, but they will be able to recommend if a pet needs to come into the hospital or not, and can advise on further treatments.
Animal Poison Control: 1-888-426-4436
- Xylitol (Artificial sweetener found in some products)
- Rat/Mouse Poisons
- Household Plants
- Human Medications or Supplements
If you are bringing your pet into our hospital because of toxin ingestion please bring the packaging if available, and a poison control case number if you have one.